- Region Summary News
- 25th Anniversary
- 2011-2013 and Beyond...
- Photos: World Oneness Aspiration Themes
- Torch-Bearer Award
- UN Initiatives
- Information on UN Years, Days, Weeks
- Year of Youth
- Year of Forests
- World Interfaith Harmony Week
- International Mother Language Day
- Year for the Rapprochement of Cultures
- Year of the Child
- Year - Rapprochement of Cultures
- Schools And Kids
- Asia Pacific
B. International Year of Forests Logo - Meaning and local language translations
“Forests for People
The International Year of Forests 2011 (Forests 2011) logo is designed to convey the theme of “Forests for People” celebrating the central role of people in the sustainable management, conservation and sustainable development of our world’s forests.
The iconographic elements in the design depict some of the multiple values of forests and the need for a 360‐degree perspective:
- forests provide shelter to people and habitat to biodiversity;
- are a source of food, medicine and clean water; and
- play a vital role in maintaining a stable global climate and environment.
All of these elements taken together reinforce the message that forests are vital to the survival and well being of people everywhere, all 7 billion of us.
The logo was originally made available in all 6 UN official languages, and has since been translated into over 40 local languages including Armenian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, German, Greek, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish, Swahili Swedish, and Turkish. If you would like to receive a copy of the other (local) language versions please email the UNFF Secretariat.
If you wish to translate the logo in your local language, please send the translated text in a .eps file to forests [ at ] un [dot] org, and the UN Department of Public Information's Graphic Design team will create a translated version of the logo.
- International Year of Forests, 2011 logo use guidelines is available in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish:
Example of how Year of Forests and Logo can be introduced and useful fact sheets for youth and other audiences: http://www.worldharmonyrun.org/un_initiatives/year_of_forests/iyf_at_whr